Just like we promised, here’s some more help in choosing the right dentist for your child. Like we said before, the most important thing you need to focus on is to find a dentist who will help your child relax. Staying comfortable is the most important thing, so don’t be too hasty in your decision making process. It would be best to find a dentist your child can visit all through her/his teenage years.
We’re just going to make several bulletins here, it will be easier to remember all these tips.
- Schedule a consultation – It’s a good way to see what your new dentist is like, what kind of clinic he works in, how difficult it is to get an appointment and what are the emergency hours.
- What’s the ambiance like – The clinic has to be child-friendly. Play area, funny images and child-sized chairs and furniture is what you want to see.
- What can occupy your child there? – We all know how easily children can get bored. But a TV with cartoons on, books, toys or some games can occupy the kids and let them relax.
- Dentist’s interaction with the child – Observe how your and other kids respond to the dentist. Can he/she make them comfortable, calm them if they cry?
- What about the staff – Are they friendly? Do they notice your child, do they help in feeling him/her at ease?
- Is your new dentist a listener – How well does he/she respond to your questions and concerns.
- Preparing the child – Before any procedure takes place, a dentist should talk with the child and build up trust. It’s a good way to relax the child and explain to him/her what is going to happen during the procedure.
- Establishing a bond – Talking with children in an age-appropriate manner is very important. Children will be more eager to follow any recommendations or oral hygiene regimen.
- Giving demonstrations – Children will easily learn how to brush and floss teeth if the dentist gives the demonstration first.
- Educating kids and parents both – Many dental issues are easily avoided if the pediatric dentist takes time to talk with the parents and children. Telling them what they need to take care about or warning them about the dangers of soda drinks and certain foods is how many dental problems can be avoided.
If you’re living in a Rancho Bernardo area, give your local dentist a call and make an appointment. Consultation is where it all starts so take it from there.